If I were President…
1. We get less than 20% of our oil from the Middle East. I’d halt this immediately.
2. That oil shortfall would be sourced from our own reserves and Canada. I’d even throw a bone to Venezuela in exchange for their withdrawal from OPEC.
3. I’d close all bases in the Middle East.
4. I’d place a base in Israel and Egypt. Keep the base in Turkey.
5. I’d tell Egypt and Turkey that they have choice. Either they’re with the West or their with the Muslim world. If they decide that they’re with the Muslim World, then we withdraw all support and all bases from those countries.
6. I’d tell Europe and Asia that America is no longer responsible and will no longer take action in the Middle East except in the case of defense of our allies.
7. The Allies in the Middle East would be designated as Israel because they are a Democracy as well as Egypt, Turkey and Jordan.
8. Our alliance with Egypt, Turkey and Jordan would be predicated upon Democratic reforms and their renunciation of a foreign policy based upon Islamic Internationalism. These countries can keep their Islamic Nationalism, if they chose to do so. That choice would mean our pulling all resources and support from their nations.
9. Support of Jordan and Egypt would also be predicated upon an agreement to assimilation all Palestinian refugees. All refugee camps would have to be closed down. Those refugees would have to be given full rights in the countries in which they are located. The US would assist with funding for housing and job training for these refugees at 50% of the cost. This Aid Package would be closely guided by a contractual auditor to ensure that the monies were being used to build infrastructure and not lining the pockets of corrupt officials. If bribes are insisted upon, funding would be withdrawn.
10. Continued support of Israel would be predicated upon a real peace plan with the Palestinians.
a. Israel would either permanently partition the West Bank and Gaza as sovereign nations and pull out completely leaving the Palestinians to their own fate.
b. Israel would annex the Palestinian areas and alter their constitution making Israel an officially and legally secular nation. Part of that constitutional reconstruction would be safeguards for all religions, creeds, ethnicities from persecution, etc.
There would be a ten year time frame to effect these changes with specific milestones in place. If these milestones are not met, we would pull all support for any or all of these nations.
We would offer the new Palestine Nation, if created, a package of aid in return for a turning away from Islamism. The US would provide financial and expert support in building a nation from the ground up. A referendum from the Palestinian people would be required to receive this Aid Package. In essence, the Palestinian people would be required to request it via said referendum and the leaders of Hamas, Fatah as well as members of any other quasi-governmental group recognized by the people. If the people did not vote for our assistance, the offer would be withdrawn. This Aid Package would also be closely guided by a contractual auditor to ensure that the monies were being used to build infrastructure and not lining the pockets of corrupt officials. If bribes are insisted upon, funding would be withdrawn.
The onus would then be on these nations. If they decided to go along with us, they would have our support. If not, we would withdraw from them and leave them to their collective fates.
I would have these treaties ratified by the US Congress and the United Nations.
There would be no military solutions offered. Either they come on line with us or we no longer have a reason to be associated with them. End of discussion.
As for the Gulf and their oil, that would be the responsibility of whomever wishes to continue to purchase oil from those nations. China, France, Germany…whomever it may be.
We would continue to patrol the ocean lanes for support of international trade. The Straits of Hormuz — no longer our problem. Saudi Arabia — keep with your Wahhabism/Salafism on your own shores or risk offending more nations.
Egypt seems to be progressing towards Democracy. This surprised me as I thought that the Muslim Brotherhood would take them in the direction of Islamic Sharia. This is a positive development. Jordan would need to step away from Monarchy and join the rest of the world in Democratic reforms.
Over the short term, these initiatives would seem expensive. Over the long term, these initiatives would save America and the Globe much in terms of blood and treasure.
This would be my solution.
In effect, we would be saying; “Join the World and we will support you. Remain in the Dark Ages and we will abandon you.”
I want out of the business of supporting corrupt and/or stubborn regimes. Whether that regime be Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia or Western Europe.
The next thing that I would do would be to withdraw all forces from Europe. The only way we would keep US troops stationed in Europe would be if at least 50% of the costs were funded by the country that wished for us to be there. All real estate used by the forces stationed in those countries would need to be loaned permanently at a cost free basis for the duration of the deployment to that country. A Status of Forces Agreement would have to be met whereby our Servicemembers would be subject to US Law and the UCMJ only while in country. All services for our Servicemembers would be provided without interference by the United States. All Servicemembers would be on a Tax Free Status in that country. That nation would also have to be a member in good standing of the Democratic Nations of the World.
If they are not willing to do this. No problem. We will simply not have a need to act in defense of their Nation.
I would also pull out of South Korea. On the way out, I’d tell China that if North Korea attacks, we would bomb the North into the dark ages. That would be my final and only dealing with North Korea. If the people of the North are too brainwashed, too stupid or too weak to fight for change, this is not the problem of the United States of America. Let China feed North Korea or South Korea if that be their desire.
I would pull all of our forces out of Japan. Japan doesn’t need us there and many of the people don’t want us there. Next, I would enter a treaty with the Philippines wherein we purchase land from them to station our Pacific Forces. I would base a Marine Expeditionary Unit and an Army Mechanized Infantry/Stryker Division there along with a Carrier Fleet being on Station at all times.
China would be warned that Japan is still our ally. Taiwan would be told to work out their differences with China. If China became bellicose and threatened invasion, we would act in defense of Taiwan. Unless the threat is based on Taiwanese provocation. In that case, Taiwan is on their own.
I would also make an alliance of mutual support with India. Our Armed Forces would conduct joint operations/exercises with India. If possible, I would allow for a treaty whereby US Forces would be permanently stationed in Southern India. This would hinge upon Indian acquiescence on the Kashmir debate.
I would withdraw all forces and support from Pakistan and Afghanistan. If Pakistan wanted our support, they would have to oust the Saudi Wahhabis and the Deobandi. Pakistan would also be required to sweep the FATA and NWFP of taliban influences. They would also be required to withdraw from the Kashmir debate. This would be the price of assistance from the US. No debate. No equivocation. If they want our support, they give up their dispute with India over Kashmir and halt support of all terrorism directed towards India.
India and Kashmir would be required to allow a full vote by the Kashmiri people. 1. Independence 2. Annexation by Pakistan 3. Retention by India
International Election Officials would oversee the vote. Any monkey business by either side and no deal. Kashmir should be able to decide it’s fate. Their fate should not be decided by Muslim terrorists or Indian Soldiers.
We would withdraw all support from Pakistan if this is not followed through to completion. With regards to India, we go to a neutral stance. India has no need of our support. They’re a viable nation in their own right.
Aside from moving away from the Defense of Europe, I would do nothing in Europe. They’re sovereign nations that can navigate their way through the world in their own rite. We should not be providing defense for them unless they are willing to subsidize it.
On patrolling the commercial sea lanes, I would require that other nations either subsidize fleet operations or provide support in the form of personnel and equipment. Either that or we protect only US shipping.
It’s time for the free ride to end. The Nations of the World (especially Europe) have enjoyed peace at the expense of the American tax payer for far too long. They decry our every move. It’s time for them to step up. The World doesn’t want Team America — World Police or so they say. Let them have their desire.
These actions would save American Tax dollars. They would remove us from the Middle East conflicts. They would place the onus on other nations to conduct their own defense and improve the lot of their own citizenry.
After these offers, blame for the sorry affairs of the world could no longer be placed at the feet of America. The primary sources of conflict would have been given a viable alternative. If they chose the path to peace, it would be with our leadership. If they chose the path to war, it would be at their own behest. The blame would lie with themselves.
Another thing that I think would be a positive is for an exchange program wherein a Battalion of another Nations forces would be given the opportunity to come to Fort Irwin, Texas to train with US Forces. I’d rotate the Nation on a regular basis. 6 Month rotations. This would be a tremendous opportunity for our Armed Forces and theirs. I’d offer this opportunity to India, Romania, South Korea, Hungary, Egypt, Russia, Thailand, Iraq, Jordan, Israel and other Nations with whom we would engage in treaties of mutual defense or with whom we wish to improve relations.
The last item on my agenda would be reforming the UN. That, though, is a whole other post.
Along with legislation mandating a Declaration of War in order to commit forces to a Ground Invasion of another country. I have no problem with bombing a perpetrating country into the stone ages. If there are viable targets. I would also work to repeal the prohibition against assassination of World Leaders. We could have saved a lot of money and lives by simply putting a .99$ bullet through the forehead of Saddam Hussein. We could save a bit more by spreading about 200 USD worth of lead throughout the Iranian, Hezbollah and Syrian power structures.
Scenes like this are ubiquitous in Afghanistan. Old shells of Soviet Armor and Trucks. Every type of Soviet Equipment can be found out there. Aircraft down at Bagram. Personal and Crew Served Weapons of various sorts are everywhere. Bridging equipment. Soviet Armor and Personnel Carriers. Soviet Mobile Kitchen Trailers. Everything needed to field an invasion. The Soviets left much behind when they hightailed their sorry asses back across the Amu Darya in ’88 or ’89.
Now it’s all rusting out on Afghan Bases, outside the Herat Airport and across the highways and byways of the country.
1. Friendly fire – isn’t.
2. Recoilless rifles – aren’t.
3. Suppressive fires – won’t.
4. You are not Superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note.
5. A sucking chest wound is Nature’s way of telling you to slow down.
6. If it’s stupid but it works, it isn’t stupid.
7. Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
8. If at first you don’t succeed, call in an air strike.
9. If you are forward of your position, your artillery will fall short.
10. Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
11. Never go to bed with anyone crazier than yourself.
12. Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
13. If your attack is going really well, it’s an ambush.
14. The enemy diversion you’re ignoring is their main attack.
15. The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions:
a. When they’re ready.
b. When you’re not.
16. No OPLAN ever survives initial contact.
17. There is no such thing as a perfect plan.
18. Five second fuses always burn three seconds.
19. There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
20. A retreating enemy is probably just falling back and regrouping.
21. The important things are always simple; the simple are always hard.
22. The easy way is always mined.
23. Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
24. Don’t look conspicuous; it draws fire. For this reason, it is not at all uncommon for aircraft carriers to be known as bomb magnets.
25. Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
26. If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
27. When you have secured the area, make sure the enemy knows it too.
28. Incoming fire has the right of way.
29. No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection.
30. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat.
31. If the enemy is within range, so are you.
32. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
33. Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren’t.
34. Things that must work together, can’t be carried to the field that way.
35. Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support.
36. Radar tends to fail at night and in bad weather, and especially during both).
37. Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing.
38. Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won’t be able to get out.
39. Tracers work both ways.
40. If you take more than your fair share of objectives, you will get more than your fair share of objectives to take.
41. When both sides are convinced they’re about to lose, they’re both right.
42. Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs.
43. Military Intelligence is a contradiction.
44. Fortify your front; you’ll get your rear shot up.
45. Weather ain’t neutral.
46. If you can’t remember, the Claymore is pointed towards you.
47. Air defense motto: shoot ’em down; sort ’em out on the ground.
48. ‘Flies high, it dies; low and slow, it’ll go’.
49. The Cavalry doesn’t always come to the rescue.
50. Napalm is an area support weapon.
51. Mines are equal opportunity weapons.
52. B-52s are the ultimate close support weapon.
53. Sniper’s motto: reach out and touch someone.
54. Killing for peace is like screwing for virginity.
55. The one item you need is always in short supply.
56. Interchangeable parts aren’t.
57. It’s not the one with your name on it; it’s the one addressed “to whom it may concern” you’ve got to think about.
58. When in doubt, empty your magazine.
59. The side with the simplest uniforms wins.
60. Combat will occur on the ground between two adjoining maps.
61. If the Platoon Sergeant can see you, so can the enemy.
62. Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can sleep.
63. The most dangerous thing in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass.
64. Exceptions prove the rule, and destroy the battle plan.
65. Everything always works in your HQ, everything always fails in the Colonel’s HQ.
66. The enemy never watches until you make a mistake.
67. One enemy soldier is never enough, but two is entirely too many.
68. A clean (and dry) set of BDU’s is a magnet for mud and rain.
69. The worse the weather, the more you are required to be out in it.
70. Whenever you have plenty of ammo, you never miss. Whenever you are low on ammo, you can’t hit the broad side of a barn.
71. The more a weapon costs, the farther you will have to send it away to be repaired.
72. The complexity of a weapon is inversely proportional to the IQ of the weapon’s operator.
73. Field experience is something you don’t get until just after you need it.
74. No matter which way you have to march, its always uphill.
75. If enough data is collected, a board of inquiry can prove anything.
76. For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. (in boot camp)
77. Air strikes always overshoot the target, artillery always falls short.
78. When reviewing the radio frequencies that you just wrote down, the most important ones are always illegible.
79. Those who hesitate under fire usually do not end up KIA or WIA.
80. The tough part about being an officer is that the troops don’t know what they want, but they know for certain what they don’t want.
81. To steal information from a person is called plagiarism. To steal information from the enemy is called gathering intelligence.
82. The weapon that usually jams when you need it the most is the M60.
83. The perfect officer for the job will transfer in the day after that billet is filled by someone else.
84. When you have sufficient supplies & ammo, the enemy takes 2 weeks to attack. When you are low on supplies & ammo the enemy decides to attack that night.
85. The newest and least experienced soldier will usually win the Medal of Honor.
86. A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
87. Murphy was a grunt.
88. Beer Math –> 2 beers times 37 men equals 49 cases.
89. Body count Math –> 3 guerrillas plus 1 probable plus 2 pigs equals 37 enemies killed in action.
90. The bursting radius of a hand grenade is always one foot greater than your jumping range.
91. All-weather close air support doesn’t work in bad weather.
92. The combat worth of a unit is inversely proportional to the smartness of its outfit and appearance.
93. The crucial round is a dud.
94. Every command which can be misunderstood, will be.
95. There is no such place as a convenient foxhole.
96. Don’t ever be the first, don’t ever be the last and don’t ever volunteer to do anything.
97. If your positions are firmly set and you are prepared to take the enemy assault on, he will bypass you.
98. If your ambush is properly set, the enemy won’t walk into it.
99. If your flank march is going well, the enemy expects you to outflank him.
100. Density of fire increases proportionally to the curiousness of the target.
101. Odd objects attract fire – never lurk behind one.
102. The more stupid the leader is, the more important missions he is ordered to carry out.
103. The self-importance of a superior is inversely proportional to his position in the hierarchy (as is his deviousness and mischievousness).
104. There is always a way, and it usually doesn’t work.
105. Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when the General is watching.
106. The enemy never monitors your radio frequency until you broadcast on an unsecured channel.
107. Whenever you drop your equipment in a fire-fight, your ammo and grenades always fall the farthest away, and your canteen always lands at your feet.
108. As soon as you are served hot chow in the field, it rains.
109. Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do.
110. The seriousness of a wound (in a fire-fight) is inversely proportional to the distance to any form of cover.
111. Walking point = sniper bait.
112. Your bivouac for the night is the spot where you got tired of marching that day.
113. If only one solution can be found for a field problem, then it is usually a stupid solution.
114. Radios function perfectly until you need fire support.
115. What gets you promoted from one rank gets you killed in the next rank.
116. Odd objects attract fire. You are odd.
117. Your mortar barrage will put exactly one round on the intended target. That round will be a dud.
118. Mine fields are not neutral.
119. The weight of your equipment is proportional to the time you have been carrying it.
120. Things that must be together to work can never be shipped together.
121. If you need an officer in a hurry take a nap.
122. The effective killing radius is greater than the average soldier can throw it.
123. Professionals are predictable, its the amateurs that are dangerous.
124. No matter which way you have to march, its always uphill.
125. The worse the weather, the more you are required to be out in it.
126. The quartermaster has only two sizes, too large and too small. (or “on order”)
127. The only time suppressive fire works is when it is used on abandoned positions.
128. When a front line soldier overhears two General Staff officers conferring,
he has fallen back too far.
129. Don’t ever be the first, don’t ever be the last, and don’t ever volunteer to do anything.
130. If at first you don’t succeed, then bomb disposal probably isn’t for you.
131. Any ship can be a minesweeper . . . . once.
132. Whenever you lose contact with the enemy, look behind you.
133. If you find yourself in front of your platoon they know something you don’t.
134. The seriousness of a wound (in a firefight) is inversely proportional to the distance to any form of cover.
135. The more stupid the leader is, the more important missions he is ordered to carry out.
136. When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend.
137 When the enemy is closing, the artillery will always be to long
138 Smart bombs have bad days too.
139 Uncrating and assembly instructions are always inside the crate.
140 If you have a personality conflict with your superior: he has the personality, you have the conflict.
141 If you enter the CO’s Presence with an idea, you will leave his Presence with the CO’s idea.
142. All or any of the Murphys Laws above combined.
“Justice has been done,” President Obama
Osama is DEAD DEAD DEAD. If there is no hell, May he burn eternally somewhere else. Good Job Obama and everyone else involved in the OP.
I doubt that they’ll ever display it. Hell, they should hang it from the Washington Monument in the exact same method that the extremist and illiterate rabble of the Muslim World would do if they captured Bush or any American/
really. Give the bastards a taste of their own medicine. But we’re too “civilized” for all that. More is the pity.
Some folks will spin this politically and attempt to deny Obama credit for taking Osama out. How could you not give him credit, though? Bush had chances to get him and failed. Clinton had chances to get him and failed. It took balls to order the strike. Took balls to order the mission. Took discipline to keep it secret for 6 months. Some leaders would have failed this test. Some leaders would have not wanted to risk the wrath of al Qaeda and other Muslim Extremist groups by taking Osama out.
I’m not a huge Obama fan by any stretch of the imagination, but, in my book, Obama gets big props from me for having the balls to carry this through. Period. That’s just me.
THE OBAMA OSAMA DEATH ANNOUNCEMENT
I love it.
I’m a huge Obama fan for this week, at least.
So long Osama. May you rot eternally in the fires of Gehena!
”I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.” – Mark Twain
I was stationed in The Old Guard from 1993-1997. One of the best tours of service that I had in the Army. I loved the pomp and ceremony of the Unit. The Pride that every member of The Old Guard takes in their duties and responsibilities was amazing to me. These guys, then and now, are professionals. They endeavor to do everything the right way every time.
I was in Alpha Company. The Commander in Chiefs Guard. They wore the uniforms of Washington’s Guard detachment of the Colonial Army. The assignment was unique. We traveled to places like Yorktown and Williamsburg to put on demonstrations and participate in Colonial Ceremonies and Celebrations. We participated in ceremonies at the White House. The CinC Guard is in every Presidential Inauguration on Capital Hill. They line the steps of the Capital and “stand guard” for the whole of the ceremony. Adding an extraordinary and realistic touch of history to each iteration of the event.
Alpha Company is stationed at Fort McNair. It’s the only unit of The Old Guard not on Fort Myer. The primary mission is burial honors at Arllington National Cemetery and the CinC Guard Ceremonial Unit for the White House and other National Events.
I had a great time on Fort McNair and worked with a bunch of great guys while there. Some with whom I still maintain contact. Though we live on opposite sides of the planet. CinC Guard is one experience in the Army for which I am hugely grateful. It’s a different side of the military. Yet, still and integral part of the whole as shown by the recent deployment of a detachment of The Old Guard to Djibouti. They’re a bunch of pretty sons of bitches who can still fight. Nothin’ wrong with that…
No, I don’t think that to be the case. It’s not really about Islam generally speaking.
It’s more complicated than that.
Islam. Muslims. They’re not bad folks and many of them are damn fine people.
The problem that we won’t face is the Nejd.
Saudi Arabia owns it and has BLACK GOLD.
Also, the official religion of Saudi Arabia is the same form of Islam from which sprang all of the Fundamentalist Thugs who are terrorists. Saudi Arabia is a State Sponsor of Terrorism.
BUT because they have oil. It’s the truth that shall remain unspoken.
It is the evil with no name.
To speak it’s name is to reveal the truth.
It’s easier to keep the public ignorant and let a few hundred or a few thousand die at a time and keep the pipe line open to “cheap” oil.
What’s a few thousand civilians to Big Business and Big Government. Most of the ones who die don’t pay taxes or pay negligible taxes anyway. They don’t matter.
Saudi Arabia is the monster. Wahhabism is their little secret Dr. Frankenstein. Islamic Fundamentalism is the monster escaped from it’s dungeon.
It’s escaped before and the Muslims themselves went in and killed thousands of them in the Nejd while the Brits killed thousand more in the NWFP and the FATA in Central Asia.
Today, though, we choose to ignore the belly of the beast and instead, we “combat” the excretions.
Thousands, no, hundreds of thousands have died in the past 10 years.
To keep that Saudi oil pipeline open.
I have discussed religion and politics around the world with people with whom I have no reason to expect agreement.
Yet, I’ve never been in a fight. And I don’t really hold back on that which I believe.
For instance, I know for a fact that I disagree with most Europeans with whom I come into contact over Israel. Yet, I discuss and we’ve discussed without it becoming a problem. This is in personal, face to face conversation. Yet, on the internet, it always turns ugly. Why is this? I’m constantly attacked and called a “cunt” on the ‘net. Especially on websites such as ThailandFriends.com.
It seems that on the net. Where one can be as ugly as possible without physical repercussions, the folks get ugly almost immediately. Without thought. A few folks on this website in particular are guilty of this. One can not speak of Islam without an onslaught of insult. If you ever go there, Ciaran, Beej and Pee Marc are the most egregious examples of this inability to discuss subjects intelligently and amicably. I’ve discussed the pros and cons of Islam with Muslims in Muslim lands and have never been insulted as much. What’s even more hilarious is that one mention of Islam brings about attacks on Christianity. I’m not Christian. So the tactic does not work.
I find it ever more hilarious that one of these guys has as part of his Artistic portraiture a picture of Jesus made up of dollar bills and another print/creation of Shell with blood as oil. Yet, he doesn’t stop to consider that the Holy Keepers and Sacred Defenders of Islam known as Saudi Arabia are the folks who benefit most from the bloody old trade. It’s the Saudis who benefit most from oil and have since their unholy alliance with FDR. Yet, he attacks the dollar and Jesus when it is the Saudi denomination in both money and religion that benefits most from the dollar. Perhaps, he’s too stupid to realize this. The House of Saud, Mohammad and Islam had benefited most from oil.
Then again, most ideologically pure folks are too blind to realize their stupidity.
Which leads to the question? Why?
What is it about White Anglo Saxon Protestants and other Europeans that lead them to attack those who question Islam more vociferously than even Muslims themselves. Muslims are capable of self examination. It seems that White Europeans and their cousins in America are not capable of this. It’s a quandary with which I am not particularly capable of answering. Are these folks so emotionally crippled by their guilt over past “sins” that they are incapable of questioning the present. What is it?
I am truly perplexed by this strange phenomenon. Will some European please explain it to me without becoming enraged and simply calling me a cunt. lol
It’s quite hilarious. So, if you want to debase yourself by calling me a cunt. Please do so. I will laugh it off and spread further the Euro apoplexy. If someone with the intelligence and the ability to emotionally separate oneself from their ideology could explain this strange phenomenon to me could be so kind, I would truly appreciate it.
I’m curious. perhaps, they are so anti-West and so elitist and so bigoted that they can’t see that those whom they seek to “protect” are just as illegitimate and just as corrupt as those against whom, in their impotence, they rebel.
Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria’s pint.
Austria demands Serbia buy it a complete …new suit because there are splashes on its trouser leg.
Germany expresses its support for Austria’s point of view.
Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit.
Serbia points out that it can’t afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria’s trousers.
Russia and Serbia look at Austria.
Austria asks Serbia who it’s looking at.
Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone.
Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in compelling it to do so.
Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that this is sufficiently out of order that Britain should not intervene.
Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it?
Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action.
Britain and France ask Germany whether it’s looking at Belgium.
Ottoman and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone.
Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium.
France and Britain punch Germany.
Austria punches Russia.
Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other.
Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over.
Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it’s on Britain’s side, but stays there.
Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria.
Australia punches Ottoman and gets punched back.
There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it.
France gets thrown through a plate glass window, gets back up, staggers back into the bar and carries on fighting by attempting to kick Germany in the balls while he hides behind Britain’s skirt.
Russia gets thrown through another window, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change and starts punching itself in the face.
Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway.
Italy raises both fists in the air and runs ’round the room chanting inane Italian taunts.
BRITAIN AND FRANCE START WHINING THAT THEY NEED HELP FROM AMERICA.
America watches the belligerents until Britain and France are about to fall over from sustained punching from Germany.
Shakes her head in disgust, contempt and resignation.
Then walks over and ends the fight by by smashing Germany over the head with a bar stool
Yells; “I gotta stop partying with these belligerent assholes!”
By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany’s fault.
While Germany is still unconscious, Britain and France go through its pockets, steal its wallet and buy drinks for all their friends.
Russia inexplicably continues to punch himself in the face.
Just for the hell of it, Britain and France take Ottoman out to the back alley and shake her down. She has no money so they take her clothes instead.
After everyone else leaves and Germany is still unconscious on the floor, France buggers Germany and smashes the Kraut over the head with a wine bottle one last time.
Germany awakens several hours later and vows revenge on the French.
(I was sent this on facebook by a Scottish friend. It was a bit skewed so I fixed it. Original here.)
Islamic Extremism began before America was founded. It existed in our early days. It was there in the Barbary Pirates. It was there before our Revolution in the Nejd being fought against by other Muslims. It existed long before we started our foray into the World as a power of any great importance (real or imagined).
Islamic Extremism has been there since the beginning of Islam. Islam was born in blood. It was born extreme. The first act of Muhammad was to use Islam as a tool to capture Mekkah and to turn the pagan shrines there into Islamic Shrines with the Ka’aba as it’s center.
What we know in the modern era as Islamic Extremism was started by al Wahhab. Al Wahhab was a Cleric born in the late 1700s. He assisted the Saudi Family in their ultimately successful efforts to conquer Arabia. Afterwards, his adherents became so violent that they were put down by the Egyptians at the behest and with the approval and thanks of the Ottomans.
The Muslim Brotherhood traces it’s philosophical founding to al Wahhab. All Islamic Terrorism groups not sponsored directly by Iran and even some of those such as Hezbollah, the Quds Force and Hamas trace their philosophical foundings and their violence back through the Muslim Brotherhood to al Wahhab.
I find it amusing when Westerners who are wholly ignorant of the history of Islam and it’s people wax poetic about how America or the West is to blame for Islamic Extremism.
Islam began as a tiny desert cult or sect in the deserts of Arabia. It conquered it’s way via Holy War from Central Asia and Western China to India and Indonesia to parts of Southeast Asia thorugh Asia Minor into Eastern Europe down through the Middle East and the Levant to North Africa and into the African Interior ending in Spain.
This peaceful religion then sided with the Germans in both World Wars I and II. Syria and Egypt then sided with communism and the Soviet Union.
I suppose that is peaceful as compared to a pacifist community or two…
Currently, Islam is used to justify African Slavery, Holy Jihad and suicide bombs, Airplane Hi Jackings, Clitorectomies on young women, the chattel slavery and oppression of millions of women across the Islamic world and in the West, execution of homosexuals, honor killings of sisters, mothers and wives for the slightest of reasons.
It is a given that not all Muslims practice these things or approve of such things. It is a given that the leadership of Islam is weak and vacillating. Relying on oppression and duplicity to remain in power.
Yes, Christians have done ugly things as well. That said, Christians, for the most part, are not doing these things now.
There is no mainstream movement in Christianity that calls for the Bible as Christian Law. No mainstream movement that calls for the execution of infidels, homosexuals or women based on Christian law.
This does not exist in the West. Not in the mainstream.
There are loons and fools a plenty. None of them get the time of day from the majority of the Western World including adherents to the Christian faith.
The world would be better off without Islam and Christianity. That much I believe. Individual Christians and even smaller organizations are fine. It is primarily the politicized and the mainstream fundamentalist Christians with whom I have a problem. Christianity has done much harm. The belief in Jesus of Nazareth and those who follow the actual teachings of Christ have been a great boon to the world at large. Christianity as we know it is a perversion created by the State of Rome as a mechanism of control. It was also used by the Monarchies of Europe to further their power and political aims. Jesus, I believe, would not approve of what we have called Christianity for the past 1600 plus years.
We’d find others things over which to fight.
The West is not to blame for Islamic Extremism.
America is not to blame for Islamic Extremism. It pre-dates America herself and it certainly pre-dates American Global Power.
Someone someday might successfully explain to me how something that existed before her birth is the fault of America. As of this date, no such person has arisen.
Only fools who know nothing of history.
Not all Muslims are enemies of Liberty and Freedom. Not all Muslims would force their brand of religion on others. Even so, there are many Muslims who would. Radicals are always the more powerful force in history. Moderates will usually fight for nothing. Pacifists will not fight. Those who believe in nothing will not fight for their vision of life on the planet.
This is the danger of Islamic Extremism. The radicals are willing to fight and to die for that in which they believe. Ignore that at your own peril–as many have done before.
I disagree with waging this “Shadow War” against al Qaeda.
Announce to the world that it is our intention to destroy al Qaeda. They attacked our Nation. They declared War. We did not. This is the War desired by Osama bin Laden and his motley crue of Wahhabist thieves, cuthroats and murderers. They wanted it. They got it.
Announce that we will strike al Qaeda wherever they exist. Wherever they hide. In any hole. On any mountain. On any sea. In any place where al Qaeda deems it necessary to plant a parasitic, violent bud, we shall strike to root it out before it takes root.
Announce that if al Qaeda is allowed to plant operatives or to exist unmolested by the local populace, said populace will be accountable for the actions of al Qaeda and said population will be accountable for any and all deaths resulting from al Qaeda and their brothers and sisters. The fault lies with the folks who cooperate with al Qaeda.
Tell the NGOs and Humitarian Organizations of whatever stripe that we do no hold ourselves accountable for the deaths surrnouding al Qaeda. Whether it be bullets, cluster bombs or fragments of US munitions or suicide vests and IEDs from insurgents or al Qaeda operatives.
We did not want this war. Nevertheless, we have it. We intend to prosecute the war to it’s conclusion. The conclusion is the destruction of al Qaeda and it’s subordinate and parallel organizaations in whatever part of the world it may exist.
After that announcement is made, we, The United States of America, should bomb the Nejd and every place sacred to the Wahhabis. We should invade Saudi Arabia and hold Mekkah hostage all the while allowing the Hajj to continue unmolested. Circulate rumours that we have planted a nuclear device under the Ka’aba along with the intent to detonate said device should a strike occur on US soil.
Also, we should pull out all military resources that protect or support or otherwise maintains the power of any Islamic despot. From Cairo to Iraq and Afghanistan. Tell the people of the Islamic World that their governance is now up to them. If they show that they are worthy and willing to fight for Democracy and their share of the delights of Liberty and Freedom that we will at a time, deemed opportune to us, intercede on their behalf. We will support no country that has as a defining point in their National Statement or
beliefs the destruction of Israel or any other Democracy. Period. We will support no Nation that has as part of it’s Constitiution
Immediately halt all support for Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq until they actually come on line with a WESTERN AGENDA as opposed to an Islamist agenda. I would like to end all support of Islamic Countries period. I would include the protection of their shipping on the sea lanes. Let Iran fight it out with the Sunnis and afterward step in to pick up the pieces. These parties would slaughter each other. The West should precipitate such a crisis and then step in and pick up the pieces after they’ve murdered 2/3rds of each others populations.
Shariah Law. We will support no Nation which has as part of it’s national belief system the enslavement or disenfranchisement of minorities or women.
After this, we strike out at al Qaeda wherever they surface. If locals are killed. It is their fault for not having rooted out al Qaeda or for having allowed al Qaeda to plant roots.
Eventually, they’ll get the message. If al Qaeda is there, missiles will rain down in holy terror. If no al Qaeda is there, no missiles will arrinve.
We must halt our support of terrorising despots. We must support freedom and liberty. We must defeat al Qaeda.
As of now, we are losing this war. Especially when we allow them to plant their seeds of terror in our own front yard.
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!
The TopKapi Palace in Istanbul has a collection called the SACRED TRUSTS.
In this collection are the swords of Hassan, Husayn, Ali, Uthman and many of the other companions of Mohammad. It also includes the Sword of Mohammad himself in addition to a whole array of other items that were handed down from Dynasty to Dynasty of the Caliphate of the Islamic Empire.
It was amazing walking through those rooms. I had no idea that these things existed. A real treat for me. Indeed.
I’ll have to get a copy of the book in order to show it around. Expensive, big and heavy, though.
Still. Amazing. I was awestruck.
This is a list of the items on display in this collection:
- The Holy Mantle
- The Honored Standard
- First Manuscripts of Quranic Verses
- The Letters Of Prophet Muhammad
- The Sacred Seal
- The sacred Strands of Hair
- The Prophet’s Footprint
- The Sacred Sandals
- The Bow Of the Prophet
- The Holy Tooth
- The staff Of Prophet Muhammad
- The staff Of Moses
- The Cooking Vessel Of The Prophet Abraham
- The Turban of the Prophet Joseph
- The Prophet John’s (John the Baptist) Forearm and a Fragment Of His Skull
- The Keys and Locks of the Kaba
- The water Bag used during the restoration of the Tomb of the Prophet
- Covers Of Kaba and the tomb of the prophet
- Soil form the Grave of Prophet Muhammad
- The Prayer Rug and Bridal Veil of Fatimah al-Zahra
- The scarf of Aisha bint Abu Bakr
- Sword Of The Prophet
- Sword Of Abu bakr al-Siddiq
- Sword Of Umar ibn al-Khattab
- Sword Of Uthman ibn Affan
- Sword Of Ali ibn Abu Talib
- A Piece of a Mantle Attributed to Husayn ibn Ali
- A Piece of Earth from Karbala
* I don’t know about the Staff of Moses. Everything else would seem to be original and in decent shape for swords, clothing, etc that are well over 1,000 years old.
I was reading Tamerlane ~ Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World when I came across this passage. I laughed out loud. Unny was sitting beside me and looked at me funny. So I “made” her read the passage. She looked at me like I was an idiot and asked me why it was funny.
I couldn’t really explain why? It just was….
The book was a most entertaining read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Justin Marozzi has a similar style to John Man. Man writes exhaustively about Central Asia, China, Genghis Khan and his grandson Kublai.
Timur was a madman. I love the guy.
We need a Timur or a Genghis in our age. Someone with the balls to do what is necessary rather than politicize and haggle like clucking hens.
It sounds awesome.
This is the great house of tolerance from whence the Cordoba Initiative derives it’s name.
I’m sure it is a great source of pride for Muslims. It’s an affront to any Christian, Jew and non-Muslims in general.
He may as well call it the Andalusia Initiative.
Andalusia, also known as al Andalus, was the name of that part of Spain conquered by the Muslims. A piece of the old World of Christians and the West forcibly taken by Islamic Warriors and later retaken by the Spanish. Cordoba was the greatest of the Cities of Andalusia. Al Andulus was under Muslim rule from about 711 until 1492.
Why would a tolerant and peace loving Sufi name his initiative after this era of history. An era of Muslim domination of Christians and southern Spain. It seems that he is reliant upon the ignorance of the masses to not understand the slight of his name selection.
although Professor Ormsby does offer some muted criticism of Abdul Rauf’s hagiography of Muslim Spain, once again, this critique grossly understates the historical reality and the alarming depth of the distortion:
For example, he heads up a venture called the Cordoba Initiative, inspired by a rose-colored view of medieval Islamic Spain. Of Muslim Cordoba, a city of great and subtle culture but one also riven by ethnic and tribal rivalries, he writes: “For many centuries, Islam inspired a civilization that was particularly tolerant and pluralistic…Great philosophers such as Maimonides were free to create their historic works within the pluralistic culture of Islam.” He sees this as a model for the future but fails to note that Maimonides, the great Jewish philosopher who wrote in Arabic, had to escape Cordoba with his family when a mere teenager because of the intolerance of the Almohad Dynasty, moving first to Fez and finally settling in Cairo.
From the two greatest modern historians of Muslim Spain, Evariste Levi-Provencal8 and Charles Emmanuel Dufourcq,9 we learn the following, all of which occurred before (and thus in addition to) the 12th century Almohad persecutions alluded to by Professor Ormsby:
Iberia (Spain) was conquered in 710-716 AD by Arab tribes originating from northern, central and southern Arabia. Massive Berber and Arab immigration, and the colonization of the Iberian peninsula, followed the conquest. Most churches were converted into mosques. Although the conquest had been planned and conducted jointly with a faction of Iberian Christian dissidents, including a bishop, it proceeded as a classical jihad with massive pillages, enslavements, deportations and killings. Toledo, which had first submitted to the Arabs in 711 or 712, revolted in 713. The town was punished by pillage and all the notables had their throats cut. In 730, the Cerdagne (in Septimania, near Barcelona) was ravaged and a bishop burned alive. In the regions under stable Islamic control, Jews and Christians were tolerated as dhimmis – like elsewhere in other Islamic lands – and could not build new churches or synagogues nor restore the old ones. Segregated in special quarters, they had to wear discriminatory clothing. Subjected to heavy taxes, the Christian peasantry formed a servile class attached to the Arab domains; many abandoned their land and fled to the towns. Harsh reprisals with mutilations and crucifixions would sanction the Mozarab (Christian dhimmis) calls for help from the Christian kings. Moreover, if one dhimmi harmed a Muslim, the whole community would lose its status of protection, leaving it open to pillage, enslavement and arbitrary killing.
By the end of the eighth century, the rulers of North Africa and of Andalusia had introduced rigorous Maliki jurisprudence as the predominant school of Muslim law. Three quarters of a century ago, at a time when political correctness was not dominating historical publication and discourse, Lévi-Provençal, wrote:
The Muslim Andalusian state thus appears from its earliest origins as the defender and champion of a jealous orthodoxy, more and more ossified in a blind respect for a rigid doctrine, suspecting and condemning in advance the least effort of rational speculation.10
Al-Andalus represented the land of jihad par excellence. Every year, sometimes twice a year, raiding expeditions were sent to ravage the Christian Spanish kingdoms to the north, the Basque regions, or France and the Rhone valley, bringing back booty and slaves. Andalusian corsairs attacked and invaded along the Sicilian and Italian coasts, even as far as the Aegean Islands, looting and burning as they went. Many thousands of non-Muslim captives were deported to slavery in Andalusia, where the caliph kept a militia of tens of thousand of Christian slaves, brought from all parts of Christian Europe (the Saqaliba), and a harem filled with captured Christian women. Society was sharply divided along ethnic and religious lines, with the Arab tribes at the top of the hierarchy, followed by the Berbers who were never recognized as equals, despite their Islamization; lower in the scale came the mullawadun converts and, at the very bottom, the dhimmi Christians and Jews.
The Andalusian Maliki jurist Ibn Abdun (d. 1134) offered these telling legal opinions regarding Jews and Christians in Seville around 1100 A.D.:
No…Jew or Christian may be allowed to wear the dress of an aristocrat, nor of a jurist, nor of a wealthy individual; on the contrary they must be detested and avoided. It is forbidden to [greet] them with the [expression], “Peace be upon you’. In effect, ‘Satan has gained possession of them, and caused them to forget God’s warning. They are the confederates of Satan’s party; Satan’s confederates will surely be the losers!” (Qur’an 58:19 [modern Dawood translation]). A distinctive sign must be imposed upon them in order that they may be recognized and this will be for them a form of disgrace.11
Ibn Abdun also forbade the selling of scientific books to dhimmis under the pretext that they translated them and attributed them to their co-religionists and bishops. In fact, plagiarism is difficult to prove since whole Jewish and Christian libraries were looted and destroyed. Another prominent Andalusian jurist, Ibn Hazm of Cordoba (d. 1064), wrote that Allah has established the infidels’ ownership of their property merely to provide booty for Muslims.12
Europeans (and others) like to argue that Americas contributions to winning World War II were not as substantial as the Russians because the Russians lost so many men. What they don’t like to talk about is the tactics employed by the Russians. Sending five boys carrying one rifle between them straight forward into enemy machine guns. That’s going to produce a hell of a lot of casualties.
They also like to say that without Russia, the Allies would have lost. Germany would have won. Why? Because all of those Russian Divisions held busy 100 or so German Divisions. But who supplied all of those Russian Divisions who were fighting those 100 German Divisions?
All that and it wasn’t our war to begin with…
Roosevelt had to trick the American people into joining the War by allowing the Japanese to sink half the fleet at Pearl Harbor and then trumping the losses up as if it were a a crushing blow to our Navy. Amazing that those Aircraft Carriers were conveniently out of the way during the attack.
Shame on Israel!
For shame, for shame…making those poor Gazans hunt for bargains in such circumstances. Is there no humanity….OH! THE HUMANITY!!!!
But really…shame on the West for being so freakin’ stupid as to believe the propaganda out of Gaza and Iran and the lands of the Wahhabis, etc…
I have a question.
Egypt is also in on the blockade. Why are there no complaints about the Egyptian part being played in the blockade? Hmm, I wonder.
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate — we can not consecrate — we can not hallow — this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain — that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Gates is sounding more belligerent these days. “I don’t think we’re prepared to even talk about containing a nuclear Iran,” he told Fox News on June 20. “We do not accept the idea of Iran having nuclear weapons.” In fact, Gates was reflecting a new reality in the military and intelligence communities. Diplomacy and economic pressure remain the preferred means to force Iran to negotiate a nuclear deal, but there isn’t much hope that’s going to happen. “Will [sanctions] deter them from their ambitions with regards to nuclear capability?” CIA Director Leon Panetta told ABC News on June 27. “Probably not.” So the military option is very much back on the table.
What has changed? “I started to rethink this last November,” a recently retired U.S. official with extensive knowledge of the issue told me. “We offered the Iranians a really generous deal, which their negotiators accepted,” he went on, referring to the offer to exchange Iran’s 1.2 tons of low-enriched uranium (3.5% pure) for higher-enriched (20%) uranium for medical research and use. “When the leadership shot that down, I began to think, Well, we made the good-faith effort to engage. What do we do now?”
But it is also possible that the saber-rattling is not a bluff, that the U.S. really won’t tolerate a nuclear Iran and is prepared to do something awful to stop it.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2003921,00.html#ixzz0tmPRNrwm
What’s more awful?
A nuclear Iran or someone stopping it.
If Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE want Iranian Nuke Programs stopped, why don’t they come out and straightforward ask for it.
I can see why they’re scared. Iran is more likely to use it against them than us.
Saudi could bring China on board.
We should arrange a deal. Cheap oil in exchange for a strike. Also, we should make them make peace and I mean real peace with Israel in exchange for a strike against Iran and we should make them disown Wahhabism.
1. Cheap Oil
2. Peace with Israel
3. Crush Wahhabism and become Sufi Muslim
4. They have to bring China in on it. China must invade Iran.
Potentially, we have the Middle East by the balls with this Iranian thing. Only if we use it correctly.
We need strategic relocation.
Europe needs to pay for their own defense. See how they like being out from under our Defense umbrella. The cowards would have to foot the bill and they’d have to back their talk with more than “We disagree with America.”
I’d say out of Europe altogether unless they want to pay us for having our troops there. Europe should be paying the US for their defense. As should South Korea. We should not be paying them for the privilege of defending them. I’ve never understood the concept of renting bases from Germany or the RoK. We’re there or were there to keep their sorry asses from being invaded. They should have been paying us.
I’d say withdraw from NATO and form a separate treaty organization with Australia and Great Britain.
We should withdraw completely from Saudi Arabia unless they start paying us for their protection with billions of barrels of oil.
We should negotiate a base in Ethiopia. Hell, at least they’re Christian. We should negotiate a base with Israel and all of our aid should be dependent on their allowance of our use of their lands. Put a base right square in the Negev. Negotiate another base with Jordan and one with Egypt. We give aid to all of these countries. That gives us an eye for Europe. A quick hop across the Med and boom ——–> Italy and Greece. I’d even be for placing a base in the Christian areas of Lebanon to counter the Iranian Rev Guards, Quds Force and Hizbollah.
We should negotiate a base with India as well. In Hindu or Christian areas. Stay out of Muzzie areas of India.
Keep a small force in Afghanistan and a small force in Iraq for the foreseeable future but draw down the rest and let those countries build themselves.
That puts us strategically located across the globe and gives us some damn fine opportunities for sightseeing.
The best thing that we could do is to get out of Europe.
We should declare war on Pakistan and let India go in with us and kick their asses.
Solve Pakistan and Afghanistan is solved. It’s that freakin’ simple.
That will scare the shit out of Iran and China as well as put Russia on notice.
We screw around way too often. End this shit. NOW!